Battlefield Rest built in 1915, a local land mark, it was a tram station and newsagent, and was once described "as the most exotic tram shelter In Scotland ". Decorated with gleaming green and cream tiles, the "Rest" had a kiosk at the end under the octagonal clock tower.
It became a B-listed building in 1981. In late 1990 a demolition order was impose by Glasgow District Council Building Control because of the unsafe and partly damage structure of the building. After a petition was signed, with signatures from over 1500 people, it was saved from destruction .
It was sold to a private business man Marco Giannasi who in early 1993 started a restoration project to bring the building back to its original state. In 1994 it was transformed into a restaurant and now today it happily survives intact for every one to enjoy.
Shortly after this photograph was taken in September 1995, the former Queens Park School buildings behind the "Rest" were damaged by fire and only "Mid" building has escaped demolition (Aileen Smart Villages of Glasgow